Looking for a quick way to boost the traffic to your business Web site?
Increase your Web Traffic
It may have been a while since you added your business to Google Places. Google Places is where you can manage your business listing displayed on Google Maps. Perhaps you didn’t even know you could get a free ad listing for your business on Google Maps.
Well, if you build it, they will come. People love Google Maps for getting directions and finding places of interest. For instance, if you are looking for a Web Designer in Lebanon, Ohio (shameless plug coming) then you can go to maps.google.com and type in “Web Designer near Lebanon, Ohio” and find our listing (ranked 2nd as of this blog post).
Here is what you get with your free listing:
- Basic information including business name, address, phone number, email & Web address
- 200 character description and up to 5 business categories
- Service areas served
- Hours of operation and payment options
- Up to 10 photos and up to 5 videos
- Any additional details you want to include such as discounts and free estimates
Once created you will have a nice display on Google Maps.
Here’s how to get your ad:
- Go to Google Places (places.google.com/business)
- Create a Google Account if you haven’t done it already.
- Login to your Google Account.
- Click the “List your business” button.
- Select Country and Phone number then click the “Find business information” button.
- If your business is found then you can click the “Edit” button.
- If your entering a new business then click the “Add a new listing” button.
- Enter your basic business information such as Company name, address, email and Web address.
- Be sure to add a good description of your business using lots of keywords that people might use to find you.
- Select a business category. Do this by starting to type into the category field and Google will make suggestions for you that can be selected. You don’t have to use the ones they suggest.
- Enter additional business categories. You get up to 5 categories so I would suggest using all of them as these categories can contain keywords that will help draw traffic.
- Next enter the service areas and locations if this is applicable to your type of business.
- Enter the hours of operation (this is optional).
- Select payment options.
- Add some photos of your business. The first photo will be used on your map listing (see sample to right). Up to 10 photos are available so you use this to show just about anything related to your business.
- You can also add videos to be displayed with your listing. If you have videos you would like to use then make sure you upload them to YouTube and then enter in the complete Web address for that particular video. Use the YouTube link here (youtube.com) to find out more information about this free video service.
- Next enter any additional details about your business. This is where you can enter a detail category followed by the associated details. For instance, on my listing, I display how long I have been in business, veteran discounts and free estimates.
For future editing be sure to log into your Google account. From most Google pages you will be able to click on the “Settings” link and go to the Google account settings. Go to Google Places to see and edit your ad plus see how many people viewed your ad and clicked on the listing. This is all great stuff and it really is free. It shouldn’t take you more than 30 minutes to setup a basic business listing. I hope you found this information useful!